10 Minute Pre-Trip Checkup Can Pay Off
A properly maintained vehicle is safer and more dependable and will even save a few dollars at the gas pumps. Motorists should plan ahead to allow time to perform necessary maintenance themselves or at the local service facility.
Car Care Council offers three suggestions for a traveler's 10-minute pre- trip checklist:
- Check all fluids - There are several fluids that require attention: Engine Oil, power steering, brake and transmission fluids, and windshield washer solvent and antifreeze/coolant.
- Check all hoses and belts - A belt failure can affect the electrical system, air conditioning, power steering, and the cooling system. Cooling system hoses may be deteriorating from within, so old hoses and clamps in marginal condition might need to be replaced.
- Check the tires - Check tire inflation and inspect the tread for uneven wear, indicating the need for wheel alignment. Also look for bulges and bald spots.
Follow these tips to maximize fuel efficiency of your vehicle:
- Vehicle gas caps - about 17% of the vehicles on the roads have gas caps that are either damaged, loose or missing altogether, causing 147 million gallons of gas to vaporize every year.
- Under inflated tires - when tires aren't inflated properly it's like driving with a parking brake on. It can cost a mile or two per gallon.
- Worn spark plugs - A vehicle can have either four, six or eight spark plugs, which fire as many as 3 million times every 1,000 miles, resulting in electrical and chemical erosion from heat.
- Dirty air filters - A clogged air filter creates a "rich" mixture - the proportion of gas to air is incorrect. This wastes fuel and causes the engine to lose power. Replacing a clogged air filter can improve gas mileage by as much as 10%.
- Don't drive aggresively - Aggressive driving can lower gas mileage by as much as 33% on the highway and 5% on city streets.
- Avoid excessive idling - sitting idle gets zero miles per gallon. Letting the vehicle warm up for one to two minutes is sufficient.
- Drive the speed limit - Gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph. Each mile driven over 60 results in an additional 10 cents per gallon. Increase fuel efficiency by using cruise control.
Discover More About Prices and Repair Services At Trend Auto in Peoria
I love taking my car to Trend Auto they inspect my car whenever I take it in there to make sure everything is running right even if I just need an oil change and filter, Robert is awesome as is Tony and all the technicians. Prices are great a lot cheaper than taking them to the dealership. Well so they are very honest and very easy to deal with. Best place to go when you have a problem with your vehicle.
I want to deeply thank this auto location for taking the time for figuring out my car that I've had a issue with these past couple months the last auto place told me misinformation that caused me to lose $180 for a repair not needed within minutes this location figured out my problem with a simple milewise plug in causing my car to have misfires and hesitating after they unplugged it my car is back to driving like it should and my oil change was done within minutes I absolutely will be coming back for my car needs. T H A N K Y O U !!!!!!!
I came here a few months ago because the belt in my truck shredded. They replaced it, but the Owner noticed I was still under powertrain warranty and went to bat for me with my dealership when they said the issue would not be covered. I had an oil leak in my truck this time and since I was due for an oil change anyway, I went in. Again, owner pointed out that I was still under warranty and if it's a big issue dealer would cover it. They did my oil change and my filter was just loose. They didn't try to oversell me on anything. They got me in and out. I truly feel they actually care about their customers and don't just try to get them to spend the most money they can. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. As a woman, I feel very comfortable going in and know that I will not be taken advantage of. Also, the oil change price was great, better than most places around here. Definitely check them out.